Monday, February 13, 2006

In the Beginning

There was Allyson Guy, Amy Alexander, Amy Valdmanis and Amy Worthy. There was Beth Sentell, Daina Richards, Hillary Kelly and Rebecca Glassco. There was Lara Smith, Mary Ann Crittenden, Misty Estes, Nathan Tutor, Shelby Logan, Stephanie Nipp, Sybil Johnson and Tad Roose. There was Tom Johnson, Ty Coffey, Wendy Brobst, Sharon Dobbins, Julie Haynes, Meredith Brazzell and Melanie Jackson. Kay Nichols. Jeff Herring. Chris Fulaytar. Alyssa Guy. Season Chappell. Amy Wible. They were there in the beginning.

September 1999, I wrote up an email called “Stephen”, because I had heard a guy by the name of EJ Smith speak at this Bible Study I had been attending for about two months at this lady named Sybil Johnson’s house. I thought EJ’s lesson was cool, and I wanted to share it with some of my friends. I got lots of response to it, and a few weeks later, I wrote another essay and mailed it out, adding a few more names to the email list upon request. So, from then, every time I went to a Bible Study, retreat, conference, Church service, or if God just taught me something cool, I began to share it over email. The first several emails were adapted from other essays, I just transferred the message from the original author to you, but as God began to mature me in Him, suddenly I found my own words... well, words inspired from God, not from other authors. I used other works to base my essays on, particularly songs, but I love to do my own personal take on the meaning of those songs.

So here we are, 7 years and over 100 essays later. And I'd like to put them up here, in chronological order of when they were sent. I'll also include an intro to each, giving some background of where the email came from, and some insight into what it means. I'll also explain some of the inside jokes you might see.

It will probably take two or more years to get them all up, week by week, but I've got the time. In the coming months and years, you'll get to read of the many adventures God has put me through (The Late Night God Test, The No Car Startin’ Blues), some of the many trials He’s allowed me (The Review, Weary) and some of the lessons He’s taught me recently through words I had forgotten I had written a year ago. God has taught me with the words He’s given me, and I hope that, even though He might not teach you a thing, you can laugh at the plights and meanderings of your friend.

As always, considered yourself encouraged!

Dave

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey its me jess, wats up?

12:59 PM  
Blogger *1 said...

Hey, you need to keep going. Two years later and I am interested. :)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home